Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back To School

Isn't September the Back-To-School Month?

How has back-to-school crept so silently into August?  It just doesn't seem right.  Growing up, I remember the first day of school always being after Labor Day, into September.

I can also remember coming out to breakfast on school mornings and seeing the table set for the whole family.  Yes, we had breakfast together every weekday morning.


I remember bowls for cereal, plates for toast and eggs, and freshly sliced fruit.


I remember pouring milk onto my cereal out of a glass bottle.


I remember that much of the excitement of back-to-school was centered around acquiring new school supplies..... those perfect erasers on new pencils!


I remember the feel of new chalk, and the little "clink" it would make if you dropped it gently.


I remember the feel and taste of sipping milk out of a paper straw.


I remember being so excited to bring flowers or a little gift to my beloved teacher.


You will be relieved to know that I do NOT remember walking barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways to school.  I will save that for the much-tougher generation that came before me.

..... but I do remember putting that chalk in my mouth just to see how it would feel.

Inspiration:  Napkins and Placemats from Picking Daisies

No comments:

Post a Comment